RELEASE – SCDC Prisoner Sentenced to Consecutive Federal Prison Term for Role in Sextortion Scheme

Columbia, South Carolina — United States Attorney Sherri A. Lydon announced today that Jimmy Dunbar, Jr., age 37, of Bishopville, was sentenced to 46 months in federal prison after pleading guilty to conspiracy to commit wire fraud, money laundering, and extortion.

Evidence presented to the court showed that Dunbar was involved in a scheme to extort and defraud Department of Defense service members.  During the course of the scheme, Dunbar posed as females on a dating app and began communicating with service members.  Posing as the females, Dunbar sent nude photographs of young females to the service members and solicited nude photographs in exchange.  Dunbar then posed as the females’ father, claiming that the service member was in possession of child pornography and threatening to have him arrested if he did not pay money.  The service member then transferred funds electronically to Dunbar’s associates.  Dunbar utilized money mules, including a codefendant, who would receive the extorted funds via wire transfer directly from the service members, then transfer the money to Dunbar and other inmates.  From September 2016 to January 2017, Dunbar received approximately $29,598.00 in extorted funds, which investigators traced to at least 17 victims.  At the time of the scheme, Dunbar was serving a 30-year sentence for murder, kidnapping, armed robbery, and arson at the Lee Correctional Facility.

United States District Judge David C. Norton of Charleston sentenced Dunbar to a total of 46 months in federal prison, to be served consecutive to the 30-year state sentence he is currently serving.  There is no parole in the federal system.

This case was investigated by the Naval Criminal Investigative Services, Internal Revenue Service – Criminal Investigations, Department of Defense Criminal Investigative Services, Air Force Office of Special Investigations, U.S. Army Criminal Investigations Command, United States Marshals Service, South Carolina Department of Corrections, and South Carolina Law Enforcement Division.  Assistant United States Attorney Emily Limehouse of the Charleston office prosecuted the case.