PPI President Ellen Weaver to focus on student success, innovation, transparency and meaningful accountability as new chair of South Carolina’s Education Oversight Committee
Columbia, SC (Feb. 11, 2019) – Palmetto Promise Institute Founding President and CEO Ellen Weaver has been elected chairwoman of the South Carolina Education Oversight Committee (EOC), an independent, nonpartisan committee dedicated to continuously improving South Carolina’s education system. She replaces Neil Robinson, a respected attorney, communitarian and the EOC’s longest-serving member as chair.
Weaver was first appointed as a member of the EOC in 2018. She now serves as Senate Education Committee Chairman Greg Hembree’s business appointee.
“I am honored to follow Chairman Robinson’s distinguished service on behalf of South Carolina’s children, and share his commitment to advancing strong expectations to prepare our students for success,” said Weaver. “Our Southeastern neighbors are demonstrating that with high expectations and bold action, real progress is possible to close achievement gaps and elevate every student. I am confident that South Carolina students can achieve and compete with any students in the nation, if we as education leaders are brave enough to change.”
The EOC is an independent, nonpartisan group made up of 18 educators, business people, and elected officials who have been appointed by the legislature and governor. The role of the EOC is to enact the South Carolina Education Accountability Act of 1998 (PDF). The Act sets standards for improving the state’s K-12 educational system.
About the EOC:
- Provides regular, routine and ongoing review of the state’s education improvement process.
- Assesses how South Carolina schools are performing.
- Evaluates the standards South Carolina schools must meet to build the education system needed to compete.
About PPI President Ellen Weaver:
- Received her Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from Bob Jones University, graduating Summa Cum Laude.
- Worked in the offices of former U.S. Senator Jim DeMint from 2001 to 2003. Served as state director of Sen. DeMint’s Columbia-based office from 2010 to 2013.
Palmetto Promise Institute (PPI) is an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit, 501(c)(3) educational organization. PPI conducts public policy research dedicated to creating a free and flourishing South Carolina, where every individual has the opportunity to reach their full potential.
TIP? PIC? EVENT? NEWS RELEASE? SUGGESTED LINK? E-mail us …